You, as a Caregiver.
Caregiver burnout is a state of physical, emotional, and mental exhaustion. According to a survey on aging conducted by Ipsos in Malaysia in 2018, 76 percent of the respondents agreed that it was the job of the young to take care of their elderly.
However, Many may not know that one of the most difficult responsibilities a person can have is being the caregiver of an elderly parent at home. Even though we could plan and discuss with seniors beforehand, there are always unforeseen circumstances that may not go with the initial planning. These moments can still lead to frustration and anger.
- Feeling blue, irritable, hopeless, and helpless
- Emotional and physical exhaustion
- Changes in appetite, weight, or both
Cause of Caregiver Burnout
Understanding the root cause of your burnout is a good start to overcome it with valid action plans! Many caregivers could not recognize that they are suffering burnout, which leads them to questioning themselves onto why they could not function their daily task effectively as before. The top 3 possible causes are as below:-
- Extreme Burden – Caregivers may made themselves the only person to provide care to their elderly.
- Inability to Take a Break – Caregivers may place obligations to provide care towards their elderly without taking break.
- Sleep Disorders – Caregivers may have insomnia or sleep disturbance, causing daytime fatigue and lack of performance.
How Can I Cope Caregiver Burnout?
After identifying the root cause of your burnout, now it is implementing action plans for the better.
- Seek Assistance – The responsibility to take care of an elderly could be shared among family members. Caregiver need to delegate task to other family members to assist their care-giving responsibilities. While others are taking charge of your elderly, you can take necessary rest.
- Get Educated – Educate yourself about the condition of your elderly. The more you know about the condition or any illness, the more effective you will be in caring for the elderly.
- Adult Day Care & Nursing Homes– These programs offer a place for seniors to socialize, engage in a variety of activities, and receive needed medical care and other services. Besides, there will be professionals present to take care of your elderly.
LECADIA PRIMACARE CENTER
Don’t forget about yourself because you’re too busy caring for someone else. Set aside time for yourself, even if it’s just an hour or two. Remember, taking care of yourself is not a luxury, it is an absolute necessity if you’re going to be an effective caregiver.
Need Professional Caregiving Assistance?
Click here for more enquiry now.