Wheelchairs, Walking Frames and Walking Sticks
Part of safety in the home is learning to cope properly with wheelchairs, walking frames and walking sticks,
Chair to walker transfer
- The caregiver should stay on the weaker or injured side of the invalid.
- Push up on the armrests of the wheelchair to stand.
- First use the stronger hand to hold on to the frame, then put the other hand on the frame.
- Always stand in the rear half of the walker.
Walking with a walking frame
- The caregiver should stand on the weaker or injured side behind the invalid.
- Pick up the walker and move it forward (do not slide it).
- Check that all four legs on the floor.
- Step forward with the weaker or injured leg, then follow with the other leg.
Walking with a walking stick
- The caregiver should stand on the weaker or injured side of the invalid.
- Hold the stick in the opposite hand and move it forward.
- Move the weaker leg forward, followed by the other leg.